Untitled Levee (feat. Cheesesteak)
THE SCENE: Gloomy, damp, and cool. A great morning to get better.
F3 WELCOME & DISCLAIMER:
I’m not a professional, but today I am the dee-jay. Today’s workout carried a Casey Kasem theme…requests for a down painment, dedication to the work, and the hits just kept on coming.
Many PAX feared the rain, thunder and lightning would shut us out. But the bold and brave were there. YHC knows music is a motivator, and that once associated with a memory, the songs will stick with you. So YHC created a playlist to inspire (and soon enough, torture) the PX. To get things started, “Baba O’Reilly” by The Who began at 5:30am sharp.
SSH – 30 IC
Daisy Pickers – 15 IC
Arm Circles – 10 IC (Reverse! Reverse!)
Squats – 10 IC
Mosey to Pavilion with picnic tables to the tune “The Distance” by Cake, daring the PAX to keep up.
The “dedication” portion of the workout is to Snowman, who Q’ed a very similar workout back in March. Alas, he fartsacked…and so, like many Casey Kasem requests and dedications, sometimes the timing just isn’t right and the thought is the only thing that counts. Songs during this portion of the workout included:
“Any Way You Want It” by Journey
“Hearts on Fire” by John Cafferty (Rccky III soundtrack)
“Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns ‘n Roses
“Rapper’s Delight” by The Sugarhill Gang
“Sabotage” by Beastie Boys
“Jump Around” by House of Pain
We did 15 exercises at 15 reps each (which was just slightly higher than Snowman’s 12×12 version in March)
- Box jumps (using picnic tables)
- One legged squat (15 on each leg)
- Jump Lunges (15 total)
- Derkins (feet up on picnic table)
- Jump Lunges
- Box Jumps
We made it through a whole round, plus half of a second round, before moseying back to the flag, where the playlist and exercises got a little more interesting. All exercises below are from the F3 Exicon:
- “Tubthumping” by Chumbawumba – Execute a burpee every time the words “I get knocked down” are sung and SSH’s in between. Total of 30 burpees with lots of SSH’s.
- “Stand By Your Man” by Tammy Wynette – One PAX does 10 merkins while the other does 10 overhead claps. This got OLD real quick…the song was way too slow. Skipped to then next track before it was over.
- “Flower” by Moby (aka “Bring Sally Up”) We started in the down squat position. Each time “Bring Sally Up” is sung we go up….and on “Bring Sally Down” we go down and hold Al Gore. Halfway through we switched over to leg raises.
- “Thunderstruck” by AC/DC – Hold high plank and execute a merkin every time “Thunder” is sung. This was tough. We switched to low plank after the first verse, and held Al Gore for a while before finishing with more merkins.
The playlist ended right at 6:15.
COUNT-OFF & NAME-O-RAMA
8 – Meter Maid, Rabbit, Moneybags, Boudreaux, Harbaugh, Captain O, Slicnut, Cheesesteak
CIRCLE OF TRUST/BOM:
Music is full of memory….songs we know from throughout our lives harken different memories…crushes from junior high, movies we watched, or pre-game songs that got us fired up for competition.
Lately the first verse from the hymn “10,000 Reasons” has been challenging me:
“The sun comes up, it’s a new day dawning, it’s time to sing Your song again. Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me, let me be singing when the evening comes.”
The song challenges us to love God and love others, from sunrise to sunset, no matter the circumstances. But sometimes I feel like I’ve run out of strength by 8:30am, whether it’s the 2.0’s or lack of sleep or just a bad morning.
YHC challenged the PAX from Psalm 71:
“As for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteous deeds, of your saving acts all day long—though I know not how to relate them all. I will come and proclaim your mighty acts,Sovereign Lord; I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone. Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come.”
The challenge is to proclaim the greatness of God even when life is hard.
Great time with the PAX. Encouraged by the diligence!