THE SCENE: A flat bike tire greeted me this morning, and I rejoiced. Not quite blazing at the saddle today but I still melted in the high 70’s. The Kiwanis club was prepping for bacon and sausage at 0515 but I didn’t look forlorn enough for them to offer.
F3 WELCOME & DISCLAIMER: Done, once and for all time (defined as 0530-0615).
WARM-O-RAMA: Neck Rolls X 10 IC, reverse x 10 IC
THA-THANG: Burpee Pyramid 10 tiers, IC = 100 Burpees (1 burpee, 2 burpees, … up to 10, …, back down to 1).
- Indian Run through the woods, down the hill . . .
- Hill Sprints w/ (Shoulder Taps x 20 IC) and (J-Lo x 20 IC) at the top. Rinse and Repeat x 3.
- Indian Run back through the woods, up the hill….
- Bear crawl the width of the field (approx. 30 yds). Halted halfway to do Mt Climbers x 20 IC. Continued bear crawling across, Mt. Climbers x 20 IC.
- Train passing by, we had to honor tradition; Alternating Ankle Tap Burpees x 10 IC.
- Mosey to the Stables
- Up and Over’s (don’t know the name); PAX grabbed the pull up bars, used core to raise knees up to chest, leaned head back and extended legs vertically over head inverting body vertically pointing down. Stacked these with Prisoner Squats.
- 1 rep each exercise, 2 reps each exercise, …. up to 5 each.
COUNT-OFF & NAME-O-RAMA
7 PAX, 0 FNG’s (Corn Dog, Blart, Sparky, Swipe Right, Speaker, Woody, Tomb Raider)
CIRCLE OF TRUST/BOM: Limits, boundaries.
One of my mentors, an old advisor, and friend died of bone cancer the other day. He, and the good Lord, outlived his life in many ways and defied the doctor’s prediction of 4 months to almost 4 years. In his words; “I should have died back in ’83 as an alcoholic. Every day after is a gift.”
Bob Connolly, was a well known archaeologist who wasn’t timid when it came to really hammering you. He rejected the first draft of my dissertation without even reading 1/4 of it. He grilled me during my dissertation defense. He grilled me for 30 minutes straight during the breakfast period before the interview for the position I hold today. He is one of the only ones to really push me hard! When my other advisers would say, “Ryan you are doing a good job, you are such a good guy”, he would say, “this is bullshit, fix it, or where’s the theoretical framework here?”
Men, we need to push each other sometimes past our perceived limitations. We will experience acceleration and growth only by surrounding us with others. Get that Shield lock going.
Hard to keep the PAX together and moving in the Burpee Pyramid. However, I think that sometimes its good to set a goal, demonstrate its completion, and accomplish a task as an encouragement that the unobtainable can be obtained. A good modifier for a burbee is a Merkin Squat Jump, just saying.
In F3, just as in most competitive sports, we don’t use first names. The only times we learn names is via mumblechatter handles or random public encounters where we awkwardly have to introduce each other to M’s.
Prayers for Billy Blanks and the last few days in North Dakota with their new baby. May they come home soon without complications. Praise to God for Rabbit’s new job. Finally, prayers to Blart and his family as they anticipate the birth of their new daughter Caroline.
Talk to Sparky and Speaker if you want to pay money to run long and run hard. St. Jude Marathon training starts now!